Sunday, May 10, 2020

Our Chicken System



Counting Losses
It has been a sad week for us in our chicken adventure. We lost two of our eight chickens to predators. They were taken in the same day, and all that was left was two piles of feathers. I am almost certain that coyotes did this. One reason I suspect this is that I saw a young coyote in the middle of the day in a nearby field the day before it happened.

The chickens taken were the two that often strayed from the flock to adventure on their own. I know this is natural selection at play, but it is sad to lose any livestock. We have cared for them every day for 6 months now.  

The farm must go on! Coyotes are extremely difficult to get rid of. Trapping is the best way to get rid of them, and I am not prepared to do that. We will therefore no longer free range the chickens for the foreseeable future. 

Adding a Dust Bath House
It is very important this time of year that the chickens be able to dust. Dusting (flapping in loose dirt) is how chickens bathe. I decided that if they can no longer free-range, we needed to provide them with a dust bathing area in their pen. I have seen people do this by putting dirt in tires. We happen to have an old dog house that I thought might be even better. It is enclosed all around except for the entrance, which is perfect for keeping the dirt concentrated.
I burnt a brush pile the other day, so I was able to add some ash to the dirt mix inside the chicken dust bath house. The chickens were cautious around it at first, but some grass clippings inside helped convince them that the chicken dust bath house is a safe place. 
Other Features of Our Chicken System
Our chicken pen is a stall in our barn. I do not remember exactly, but I estimate that it is about 10ft x 12ft. Obviously more space would be better, but the hens are content with this much space.

The picture below shows the set-up we have for the waterer, feeder, and roost. I really like the roost that my husband Luis made. I can pick it up and move it, making it very easy to clean out the area underneath. The waterer is on landscaping blocks to help keep the water clean.

The feeder is a store bought feeder with a PVC pipe extension. We have it suspended between the walls with rope so that the chickens cannot knock it over. Unlike feeders I have tried in the past, this one has very little waste. We use kitty litter boxes for the nesting boxes, and we have hay in them for the nests. We tried pine shavings, but the chickens would just scratch the shavings out.
I have been around chickens my whole life and had my own since I was about 12. Although we do not have a perfect chicken system now, what we have is pretty good! Let me know if you have any questions about keeping chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment